Alan Gross: Castro's prisoner
We run various sites in defense of human rights and need support to pay for more powerful servers. Thank you.
Archives
Recent Comments

    High court rejects appeal from subcontractor freed from Cuba

    High court rejects appeal from subcontractor freed from Cuba
    THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
    04/06/2015 10:14 AM 04/06/2015 10:14 AM

    WASHINGTON
    The Supreme Court won’t hear an appeal from a former government
    subcontractor seeking to sue the U.S. government for negligence over his
    five-year imprisonment in Cuba.

    The justices on Monday let stand a federal appeals court ruling that
    threw out Alan Gross’ $60 million lawsuit blaming the federal government
    for failing to prepare him for the risks of working in Cuba.

    Gross was freed in December as the U.S. announced it would re-establish
    diplomatic relations with Cuba. He was working as a U.S. Agency for
    International Development subcontractor in Cuba when he was arrested in
    2009.

    The U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit ruled
    last year that the U.S. government is immune from claims arising in a
    foreign country.

    In a separate case, Gross received $3.2 million in December from the
    federal government as part of a settlement with the Maryland-based
    company he worked for at the time of his arrest.

    The USAID said it paid Gross to settle claims pending before the
    Civilian Board of Contract Appeals for unanticipated claims under a
    cost-reimbursement contract with Development Alternatives Inc. of
    Bethesda, Maryland.

    The USAID said the settlement was not an admission of liability, but was
    intended to avoid the costs and risks of further legal proceedings.

    Source: High court rejects appeal from subcontractor freed from Cuba |
    Miami Herald Miami Herald –
    http://www.miamiherald.com/news/article17497964.html