Alan Gross: Castro's prisoner
We run various sites in defense of human rights and need support to pay for more powerful servers. Thank you.
Archives
Recent Comments

    Cuba says prominent blogger part of US ‘cyber-war’

    Cuba says prominent part of US 'cyber-war'
    March 23, 2011 – 2:05AM

    Cuba on Monday accused prominent blogger Yoani Sanchez of taking part in
    a "cyber-war" launched by the and aimed at destabilizing
    the communist government.

    The accusations came in a documentary series aired on state TV in which
    an engineer from the information ministry and pro-government bloggers
    accuse Washington of targeting the country through "cyber-"
    proxies.

    "There exists on the island a new kind of counterrevolution composed of
    bloggers… These cyber-mercenaries constitute a new instrument to
    create internal conflicts," the documentary said.
    Advertisement: Story continues below

    Sanchez, 35, an internationally-known blogger and dissident who writes
    on the site "Generation Y" has long traded barbs with a regime that
    accuses her of serving foreign agendas.

    In a video in response to the latest charges, Sanchez and five
    other opponents accuse the government of "demonizing" the after
    revolutions led by online activists brought down longstanding regimes in
    Egypt and Tunisia.

    "It is nervous because social networks like Twitter and Facebook can
    play the same role in Cuba they did in Egypt and Tunisia," it said. The
    video can be viewed at www.desdecuba.com/generationy.

    Last month Cuba hailed the laying of a new undersea fiber-optic cable to
    , which it said would allow the country to surmount a
    decades-old US that had forced it to rely on more expensive
    satellite connections.

    But dissidents have said the government keeps a tight grip on
    information and communications to stifle dissent.

    Earlier on Monday, US President Barack Obama urged to take
    "meaningful actions to respect the basic rights of the Cuban people"
    during a Latin America visit overshadowed by the popular uprisings in
    the Middle East.

    The documentary series, entitled "Cuba's Reasons," is being aired
    following the conviction this month of a US State Department contractor
    on subversion charges, which further strained relations between the
    longtime foes.

    American was sentenced to 15 years in for allegedly
    committing "acts against the independence and territorial integrity of
    the state" in a verdict Washington has called "an injustice."

    He was working under contract for the US State Department when he was
    in late 2009 for distributing cell phones and computers to
    members of the island's struggling Jewish community.

    http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-technology/cuba-says-prominent-blogger-part-of-us-cyberwar-20110323-1c5dc.html